Edit screenshots: The production of Amphitrite's image

I started off with the original image of the model, and resized the frame to roughly where I wanted her to be in the frame.

I started off with the original image of the model, and resized the frame to roughly where I wanted her to be in the frame.

I then added the background taken on a glass bottom submarine in Crete.

I then added the background taken on a glass bottom submarine in Crete.

I removed the backgrounds from both the model and the fish and changed the fishes colour to purple to see if that would blend nicely with the pink…it didn’t look too great!

I selected the tail of a fish that I had photographed and placed it roughly on the models body where I wanted it to fit to create the mermaid tail.

I selected the tail of a fish that I had photographed and placed it roughly on the models body where I wanted it to fit to create the mermaid tail.

I had a go at liquifying the tail, however I wasn’t too happy with the result, I changed the colour of the models outfit to blend to the tail more.

I had a go at liquifying the tail, however I wasn’t too happy with the result, I changed the colour of the models outfit to blend to the tail more.

I added in a back light to highlight the model using the screen tool and a light blue.

I added in a back light to highlight the model using the screen tool and a light blue.

I started to add in several more layers of the fishes tail…this is when the iMac started to get really slow-but I couldn’t flatten the image as I knew that there was a lot more work to be done behind and in front of the subject to blend her into the scene.

I started to add in several more layers of the fishes tail…this is when the iMac started to get really slow-but I couldn’t flatten the image as I knew that there was a lot more work to be done behind and in front of the subject to blend her into the scene.

After adding in plenty of fish tails and blending them together with liquify, puppet warp and free transform, I experimented with changing the colours of the tail to match the halo of fins behind the models back.

After adding in plenty of fish tails and blending them together with liquify, puppet warp and free transform, I experimented with changing the colours of the tail to match the halo of fins behind the models back.

At this point, I realised that part of the models arm was missing, so I cut it out and merged it back in.

At this point, I realised that part of the models arm was missing, so I cut it out and merged it back in.

I then selected a shot of my models hair where it was more flowing. In hindsight I would have photographed this either in the water or on a black background to make it easier.

I then selected a shot of my models hair where it was more flowing. In hindsight I would have photographed this either in the water or on a black background to make it easier.

I roughly placed the hair where I wanted to mask it in.

I roughly placed the hair where I wanted to mask it in.

I then masked it in and changed the colours using a soft brush on colour to blend it into the her hair

I then masked it in and changed the colours using a soft brush on colour to blend it into the her hair

I then changed the grading of the image using several curves, levels and a black and white semi opaque layer.

I then changed the grading of the image using several curves, levels and a black and white semi opaque layer.

I then made a trident using a stock image as a template for the shape, then drew it using shading and a texture and set it to place using the free transform tool.

I then made a trident using a stock image as a template for the shape, then drew it using shading and a texture and set it to place using the free transform tool.

I composited in a turtle and some fish, of which I photographed in a similar area to the background in Crete.

I composited in a turtle and some fish, of which I photographed in a similar area to the background in Crete.

I created a bubble brush preset by doing the above with a mixture of hard and soft brushes and the elliptical tool.

I created a bubble brush preset by doing the above with a mixture of hard and soft brushes and the elliptical tool.

I applied the bubble brush in various opacities to the turtle, fish and to add movement to the mermaids tail and hair. I also added in more light streams to the image to create a more dimensioned effect

I applied the bubble brush in various opacities to the turtle, fish and to add movement to the mermaids tail and hair. I also added in more light streams to the image to create a more dimensioned effect

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 09.07.16.png